Dressing for any occasion can be stressful. You can never be sure on what to wear and what to avoid. Society has put many restrictions on what type of clothes to wear and where to wear them they might seem oppressive at some times but it has been followed on for years and it is what everyone expects. You will surely have different parts of your wardrobe dedicated to different types of clothing. One has traditional ironed clothes; one has your dry cleaned suits and jackets. There are your casual Sunday t-shirts and your fancy cocktail dress. In between so many options one is bound to get confuse in what to wear. Especially when it comes to business wear or meetings. Even though offices have now become easy but wearing something appropriate never harms anyone it will just help us.
First impression lasts for long and the first impression that a person will have is by looking on you and what you wear will definitely matter in that moment. A person takes only about 4 seconds to form an impression of you in their mind so we have to make sure that we take the full benefit of that short window.
Importance of dressing properly
Imagine showing up at a black-tie event in casual t-shirt and jeans. The stares that you will get from everyone, the awkwardness of being there, the critical glances of your seniors are bound to make you think about what huge mistake you made.
Even the smallest things matter in your appearance like what footwear you have what jewelry you are wearing. You can’t show up to an important meeting wearing a suit with flip flops. You have to have shoes on. A slightest hang about your appearance can turn someone off and may forma negative impression about you.
Potential clients. Boss, colleagues, friends and even family everyone judges you, though no one will say that. Imagine showing up to you cousins wedding in shorts wont your grandma show clear disapproval? It is very important you know what event needs what type of clothing; it will uphold your reputation between the people you know.
Here are some points you might like to keep in your mind while choosing an outfit.
Occasion wise –
- Casual attire
It can be anything from jeans to shorts to a dress or thirsts, shirts. Anything you feel comfortable in. you can wear it when going to meet some friends, out for a coffee, at home, on a vacation etc. Though always know rhea weather before so you can wear accordingly.
- Resort casual
Though you can wear normal casual wear on your vacation, it is preferred to wear more refined clothes so you can take good pictures and can look good for your relatives and friends. It can be leggings, summer dresses, shorts, tops, shirts etc
- Business casual
It is something you wear to your office every day. It is not very casual but not much dressy at the same time. It can be a shirt and pants for men and a skirt with shirt for women. It should look good but feel comfortable at the same time.
- Formal business
It is for those people who are ultra professional and are to be taken seriously like the CEO or the owner of the company. It is usually a suit, can also be a three piece suit- shirt, vest and suit. The suit should not look cheap. It does not have to be very expensive but it should look decent. Men can pair dress shoes with it and a watch. While women can wear nude heels and minimal jewelry.
It is mostly worn for cocktail parties, dinner parties etc. Women have to wear a dress made from satin or such material, if they go to such parties all year long it is good to invest in a black dress that can be worn around the year. Men are to wear a suit.
- Formal wear
Such types of clothes you wear to a high society business party or to a party where many high society or famous people will be coming. For women it is long gowns though not all puffy but simple and for men a three piece suit or as specified in the invitation.
Some other points to keep in mind –
- Always make sure you know what the dress code is before going and wear appropriate suitable clothing according to it. You do not want to show up in something different and embarrass yourself.
- Do not wear strong overwhelming scents. They are distracting and ca cause allergies to a sensitive person. To know if the scent you are wearing is appropriate or not ask friend or family member.
- Wear well fitting clothes. This goes without saying. Your clothes should always fir you. Baggy or short clothes do not look good. Especially for men the suites you wear should have a proper length. Try not to borrow clothes from friends if they are ill fitting.
- Wear neat shoes. People notice footwear too. Wearing neat, polished shoes has a good impression on your employer. And make sure your footwear matches to what you are wearing. Don’t wear sandals to a black tie event and shoes to the beach.
- Though this option is your choice, pantyhose have come in fashion again. They give a polished effect to the wearer. It is very important that none of your hosiery shows when in for a business meeting. For men do not show any skin. Wear proper socks underneath your pant.
- The fashion of wearing cartoon characterized socks and underwear is increasing make sure to not wear anything like that in a business environment.
- Accessorize properly. Don’t wear any gaudy pieces of jeweler. Your accessories should go with your outfit not stand out as a sore thumb.
- Keep groomed facial hair. Beards are in nowadays but they don’t look so good in a business setting. Make sure to have a clean shave.
- Wear neutral and rich colors like black, white, beige that help you give a refined look.
Dressing for the occasion is a very important decision that you need to take properly. One wrong accessory or clothing item can ruin the whole event for you. Hopefully this article has helped you understand what to wear and when. Dress immaculately and speak flawlessly.